University Club Cleveland
The UNIVERSITY CLUB, 3813 Euclid Ave., located in a restored historic Cleveland mansion on "Millionaires Row, " is a social club for business and professional men and women. In 1896-97, Drs. Chas. Harris, Samuel Ball Platner, and Abraham Lincoln Fuller, professors at Adelbert College, organized the original Univ. Club as an invitational social club, with membership limited to men having a college degree. Incorporated as the Univ. Club on 8 June 1898, with a membership of 140 men representing 40 different colleges and universities, the club moved into its first headquarters, the John Tod house at 692 Prospect St. As membership increased, the club arranged to purchase the Beckwith mansion (its present location) from Dr. CHAS. F. BRUSH†, which became the clubhouse on 20 Dec. 1913. Through the years, the home was a permanent residence for many Cleveland men, as well as the setting for a variety of social, intellectual, and athletic activities. As membership declined in the 1950s and 1960s, the club was in danger of dissolution. On 6 July 1980, it was sold to Thos. H. Roulston, Harvey Oppmann, and a group of associates, who promised to renovate the historic clubhouse. Aided by the sale of $1.5 million in tax-free industrial revenue bonds, the redecorated club reopened in Nov. 1980 with membership limited to 1, 000 business and professional men and women of all ages and races for meetings, entertainment, sociability, and recreation.