If English is not an official language in your home country, you must complete the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). The CIM school code for TOEFL is 1124. When registering for the test or when ordering a score report, no departmental code is necessary. Log into your TOEFL iBT or IELTS account to order a score report.
You must upload your TOEFL or IELTS score report at the time of application. No audition will be scheduled without the required TOEFL or IELTS score (see below).
Minimum scores required to schedule an audition:
- Bachelor of Music: 61 (iBT) or 6 IELTS
- Master of Music: 61 (iBT) or 6 IELTS
- Doctor of Musical Arts: 100-102 (iBT) or 7.5 IELTS
- Artist Certificate, Artist Diploma, and Professional Studies - 61 (iBT) or 6 IELTS
Minimum scores required to be considered for acceptance:
- Bachelor of Music: 79 (iBT) or 6.5 IELTS
- Master of Music: 79 (iBT) or 6.5 IELTS
- Artist Certificate, Artist Diploma, and Professional Studies" 61 (iBT) or 6 IELTS
English Language Training Program
If you're accepted as a bachelor's or master's applicant, and if you have a TOEFL score between 61 and 78 or IELTS score of 6, you will be automatically enrolled in CIM's English Language Training Program. This program is held during the summer prior to orientation. Then you'll continue with English as a Second Language classes in the fall.
Although the program is required for certain students, it is open to any international student if you want to improve your English skills prior to the start of classes.
The program consists of two classroom-based courses and one computer-based lab. If you require TOEFL preparation, you will attend a classroom-based course three days per week, and you will take a two-day instructor-led online preparation course. You will also learn about American (and Cleveland) culture while honing your English skills both within the classroom and during daily outside excursions. There will be plenty of time for music practice in CIM's practice rooms.
- Speaking and Structure: This intensive class gives you ample practice in listening, speaking, vocabulary and grammar skills in meaningful situations. Activities will sharpen your listening skills, expand your spoken language abilities in both formal and informal situations, stimulate thought-provoking discussion and critical thinking, and build vocabulary and academic writing skills.
- American Culture: This course will cover American customs, holidays, a brief overview of American history, Cleveland history, diversity and traditions. As part of this course, you will visit Yoder's Amish Home to experience Amish culture firsthand. You will also learn the practicalities of living and studying in Cleveland.
- ESL Lab: You also have access to the online interactive language courseware to work on enhancement practices at your own time and pace. If you're preparing for the TOEFL, you will engage in an instructor-led online program of study.
- Optional TOEFL Preparation: This course will teach you tips and strategies for maximizing TOEFL scores. The course includes in-class writing and speaking workshops, as well as ample online practice with the integrated course and practice test component.
After-Class Activities and Friday/Weekend Excursions
During the week, join us for after-class activities in our neighborhood (University Circle) or a short RTA (Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority) ride away. Examples include a coffee shop crawl, Severance Hall (home of The Cleveland Orchestra) tour, tours of University Circle museums, and geocaching.
On Fridays and weekends, our excursions will include Yoder's Amish Home, Blossom Music Center (summer home of The Cleveland Orchestra), the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, and more.
Summer 2016 Information
July 25 to August 19
$4000 tuition and room
$405 (est.) food
All students will live in Cutter House, CIM's residence hall. Cutter House has a full kitchen for your use, and there is a grocery store within walking distance. Graduate students will need to find off-campus housing by the end of the program. Undergraduates will remain in the residence hall.
- Slotozilla.org: the player may also make an additional bonus bet.