Queens gym teacher allegedly

Grover Cleveland High School New York


State Normal School / Grover Cleveland High School
110 Fourteenth St., Buffalo NY 14202

Site:

The school building occupies an entire city lot bounded by Fourteenth Street to the north, Normal Avenue to the south, York Street to the west, and Jersey Street to the east. The residential west side neighborhood is composed of two-story late nineteenth century houses. Kleinhans Music hall, a National Historic Landmark, is located to the east

Erected:

Building Material:

Steel frame.
Exterior: Stone, brick, terra cotta

Style:

Architect:

H. W. Hoefer, the State Architect for the State of New York.

Beneath Illustrations

History

1867 - State Legislature approves purchasing the site, a 5 1/2 acre parcel of land, from the estate of Jesse Ketchum for $4500 to build a State Normal School . The city and the county agreed to erect the school building at their joint expense, each issuing bonds in the amount of $45, 000 for that purpose.

A three-story French Renaissance style structure designed by John H. Selkirk was constructed in 1869. The school opened in September 1871 with 66 pupils in attendance. The concept of the Normal School was to furnish trained teachers for the public schools of the State. The control of the school was vested in the State Superintendent of Public Instruction and the local Board of School Trustees. Grover Cleveland was one of nine members named to the original board.

1910 - The building was found to be inadequate and a bill was introduced to the State Legislature providing for the construction of a new building.

1914 - The present Colonial Revival / Georgian Revival style building opened in September, 1914.

1927 - The school as renamed the New York State College for Teachers at Buffalo. Increased enrollment and the need for updated facilities prompted the City and the State to implement a land swap. The State gave the city of Buffalo the Normal School building in exchange for twenty acres of land fronting Elmwood Avenue and $1.5 million for the construction of a new campus (present Buffalo State College).

1931- Grover Cleveland High School, named after the second US President from Buffalo (Millard Fillmore being the first), opens and relieves enrollment at Hutchinson Central and Lafayette High Schools.

1960 - One-story brick L-shape addition added to the northwest facade.

Photos and their arrangement © 2006 Chuck


Share this article





Related Posts



Latest Posts
Irish Pubs in Cleveland
Irish Pubs in…
American, Irish, Bar, Pub Meals Lunch…
Cleveland Park Bar and Grill
Cleveland Park…
There are plenty of sports fans living…
Cleveland TN Shopping
Cleveland TN…
BORN & BRED IN CLEVELAND, TENNESSEE…
Cleveland Museum of Art parking
Cleveland Museum…
Our parking garage is accessible from…
Bonbon Cafe Cleveland
Bonbon Cafe Cleveland
Proprietor of Bonbon Pastry &…
Search
Featured posts
  • Cleveland High School football rankings
  • St. Ignatius High School Cleveland football
  • Cleveland High School football scores
  • Cleveland High School Phone number
  • Shaw High School Cleveland
  • Cleveland High School Texas
  • Grover Cleveland High School closing
  • High School football scores Cleveland Ohio
  • Grover Cleveland Middle School
Copyright © 2017 l www.shotmeyerhac.com. All rights reserved.